2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp Szechuan chilli oil
2 tbsp chopped spring onions
1. Sliced the tofu into 2cm cubes.
2. Heat a pan of water until it reaches just below boiling point. Add tofu cubes and scald for 2 minutes.
3. Remove, drain and set aside.
4. Heat a tbsp of cooking oil in a wok under medium high heat. Add minced pork or beef until it's browned and cook.
5. Add garlic and spicy bean sauce and stir-fry for a further 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
6. Reduce heat to medium low heat. Add tofu, soy sauce, sugar, salt and chicken stock. Give it a gentle stir, cover with lid and bring it to a slow simmer.
7. Remove the lid, add the cornflour water, give it a quick stir until mixture is thicken.
8. Turn off the heat, sprinkle with ground Szechuan pepper and chopped spring onions. Ladle the Chilli oil.
*Recipe adapted from http://almostbourdain.blogspot.com/2011/04/mapo-tofu.html