6 Chicken thighs with skin and bone
2 Tbsp olive oil
10 Garlic cloves, halved
3 Celery ribs, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
1 Carrot, Sliced thickly
1 Cup dry white wine
1 Cup water
1. Pat chicken dry and season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
3. Sear chicken, skin side down, in 2 batches until golden brown (do not turn), 3 to 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate.
4. Cook garlic, carrot and celery in skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden and just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
5. Add wine and boil, uncovered, until reduced by about half, 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Add water and bring to a simmer.
7. Return chicken, skin side up, to skillet and simmer, partially covered, until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes.