180g unsalted butter, softened
185g caster sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature beaten
165g self-raising flour, sifted
2 Tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 Tsp lemon juice ( I use more – I whole lemon)
2 Tsp caster sugar , extra to sprinkle
Icing sugar to dust
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly grease and line the base and sides of an 18CM (7”) round cake tin.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. This will take about 5-10 minutes.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Fold in flour, lemon juice and lemon rind stir with a spatula until just combined.
5. When smooth, spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface.
6. Sprinkle extra sugar on top.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, dust with icing sugar and garnish with lemon zest.