4 slices bacon, diced
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups water
4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
ground black pepper to taste
3 cups half-and-half
3 tablespoons butter
2 cans minced clams
1. Place diced bacon in large stock pot over medium-high heat.
2. Cook until almost crisp; add onions, and cook 5 minutes.
3. Stir in water and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Bring to a boil, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
5. Pour in half-and-half, and add butter. Drain clams, reserving clam liquid; stir clams and 1/2 of the clam liquid into the soup.
6. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Do not allow to boil.
*Recipe from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/new-england-clam-chowder-i/